Witchy Wednesday: Magic for Coffee Makers

I know this is a weird subject for a Witchy Wednesday, but were you aware that not cleaning your coffee maker regularly can actually make you sick?

Most of us know that using a vinegar/water solution (1 cup vinegar to 11 cups water) through it once a month is a standard practice.
The other day, I was allowing my inner child to play while cleaning. I've always loved watching what happens when one combines baking soda and vinegar, so I decided to put some baking soda into the coffee pot after putting the vinegar/water solution into the coffee maker.  I turned it on, not only to clean it, but to watch it foam up (remember, this is my inner child having fun- yes, I am a weirdo).  It didn't let me down.. it was lots of fun to watch. Then, I had the bright idea of running that baking soda/vinegar/water solution through the coffee maker to see if there would be any sediment/residue that would be cleaned by the foaming action.

I was floored.

The water came out looking like coffee, and I like my coffee DARK. If I didn't know better, I would have sworn that someone had brewed a fresh pot of coffee. I ran three pots of fresh water through it after that. The first pot came out dark, but slightly lighter than when the baking soda solution ran through. The second pot was considerably lighter- more like tainted water. The third pot ran through completely clean.

I've come to the realization that vinegar/water alone does not do the trick. In order to remove the sediment, baking soda is the way to go. I put about 1/8 cup of baking soda into the pot.

Try it for yourself and let me know your results!

Sláinte! (To your good health!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Witches are your best friends- we worship the ground you walk upon! Be patient when posting; comments are moderated, so it may take some time for your comment to appear :)